GIRL ICON TRAINING, MILAAN INDIA
India is home to 243 million adolescents which is about 20% of the world’s adolescents. Adolescents in India comprise 25% of the population. Yet, the status of girls in India, especially those from vulnerable and disadvantaged communities, is in a dismal state. Caring Hands is partnering with Milaan Foundation to cover their training costs for their Girl Icon initiative that provides leadership training to adolescent girls from rural areas in the states of Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh in India.
- : Grant: $10,000
- : Ages of the girls: 12-18
- : Leadership training for 100 rural girls
- : Project timeline: 2017
- Category : Global Projects,
Milaan Foundation runs Girl Icon Fellowship Program, a leadership development initiative for adolescent girls (12-18 years) from the states of Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh who have demonstrated the willingness and ability to challenge social barriers that restrict the unleashing of girls’ potentials in their communities.
The program works:
- To empower and incubate 100 Girl Icon Fellows so they can advocate for their rights to education, safety, and health; providing them with the resources to become agents of change in their own lives and in the communities they come from.
- To enable 2000 adolescent girls, in communities of the selected Girl Icon Fellows, through comprehensive life-skills education covering topics such as active citizenship, adolescent health, social inclusion, etc.
- To educate and engage the communities to invest in girls through 15 social action projects such as theme-based street plays and movie screenings which will be followed by discussions at the community level.
Caring Hands would like to raise $10,000 to bear the leadership training costs of the 100 Girl Icons. Please consider making your tax deductible donation. Your entire contribution will be remitted towards this project.